Could the food in your kitchen be poisoning you? Your healthy diet may just be fatal. Check out these everyday foods that can be highly toxic.
Healthy eating is a trend now. Processed foods are making its way out of our diets. There is a growing awareness about what ingredients go into our meals. A lot of people are making the conscious decision to eliminate processed foods, as well as fast food from their diet. They’re switching over to home-cooked meals instead.
But this healthy switch can be as bad for your body as those processed foods were. Fruits and veggies are usually viewed as being harmless, but there are some that can be pretty toxic for your system.
Nestle’s website explains it very simply: the three important keys to healthy eating are a balance, variety, and moderation. This is particularly true in the case of following specific diets. The site goes on to explain that while it is generally good to consume a good balance, you have to eat foods in moderation to truly reap the nutritional value of your foods.
But there are food items in our kitchens itself that can cause some amount of toxicity! So it’s better to be safe than sorry with your diet. These are some of the foods that can actually be very poisonous to you.
Apples are on top of the list thanks to the famous saying ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’. The seed of apples is actually pretty dangerous as they contain small doses of cyanide, which can be fatal when consumed. Consuming these seeds can cause vomiting, feelings of anxiety, headaches, and dizziness
Before you ask for that cherry to top off your sundae, you should know that the seeds of cherries also contain cyanide. So if you ever thought of swallowing that cherry pit, then think again, because you might just be poisoning yourself.
Potatoes are pretty harmless, but if you have ever used unripened potatoes in any of your meals, be aware. They can be highly toxic. Potatoes that haven’t had a chance to ripen contain solanine, a very toxic substance that can lead to lead poisoning. Symptoms include diarrhea and vomiting.
Rhubarb is delicious but it can prove to be deadly, too. While the stems of rhubarbs can be consumed without a hitch, it’s their leaves you have to be worried about. The leaves of the rhubarb plant contain oxalic acid, which can cause skin irritation, as well as give you mild poisoning. This can lead to kidney failure.
Don’t deck the halls yet, your favorite Christmas spice is poisoning you! Nutmeg is actually very toxic to the human body, and too much of it may cause hallucinations. So it’s pretty safe to say that Santa was borne out of a crazed nutmeg trip.
There are two types almonds, sweet and bitter. While the sweet variant is safe to consume, it’s the bitter one you have to be careful about. Bitter almonds contain trace amounts of hydrogen cyanide, and yes you guessed it, it is bad for you. While eating 5-7 of these nuts causes vomiting and diarrhea in adults, it can be fatal for children.
Unprocessed honey may sound like an organic buyer’s dream come true, but the truth is that all honey is required to go through a pasteurization process. When bees collect nectar from Rhododendrons, they’re contaminating the honey they make with grayanotoxins. Grayanotoxin poisoning can cause nausea, dizziness, and blurred vision.
Mercury is found in very high levels in Tuna. The metal is actually very toxic for your body and can cause very severe poisoning. The meat of this fish contains some amounts of mercury (You can thank humans for polluting the waters!) Many doctors advice women and children to stay away from it as a safety measure.
Did you know that the ‘raw’ cashews that you get in your supermarket aren’t really raw at all? They go through a steaming process that helps eliminate urushiol. The same poison is found in poison ivy as well as poison oak. If you’re allergic to poison ivy, it’s best to stay as far away as possible from cashews. You may have a fatal allergic reaction.
Uncooked kidney beans are actually pretty toxic. Raw kidney beans contain a chemical called glycoprotein lectin. Cooking the bean properly eliminates the toxicity of the bean. But just as few as four raw beans can cause severe nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. So be careful when you cook red kidney beans!
Like the humble potato, tomatoes belong to the nightshade family. Parts of the tomato plant such as its leaves and stem contain alkali poisons. Consuming them can lead to vomiting and nausea. Unripe tomatoes also cause significant damage to the body. But you have to consume very high levels of this to actually get poisoned, so take care when you pick your tomatoes!
The health benefits of brazil nuts are innumerable, but you can only enjoy them in moderation. Brazil nuts are actually radioactive and contain a high selenium content. Consuming high volumes of brazil nuts can poison you, so take care when you’re diving into that nut mix.
Cassava is where we get tapioca flour from. It’s a great substitute for gluten-free baking, but it can be toxic. The cassava plant contains cyanide, which, as we mentioned before, can be fatal to humans. When cooked properly, this food is harmless.
Disclaimer: Please note that in some cases, you may be severely allergic to certain foods. It is best to consult with a medical professional for their expert opinion.