Lewi Sullivan: Boy, 10, tragically dies after he accidentally hangs himself while playing on rope swing
'We had a very strong friendship bond as well as being father and son and that was really special to me,' the late child’s father said
RASSAU, WALES: A schoolboy lost his life in a horrific accident that saw him fatally hanging himself with a rope, which was wrapped around a tree.
On September 1, Lewi Sullivan was playing with his friends when his neck got tangled in the rope swing and he fell from the tree, BBC reported.
Though the ten-year-old boy was airlifted to the University Hospital of Wales, he could not be saved and died on September 4.
An inquest into the case at Pontypridd Coroner's Court was told that the child died due to hypoxic-ischemic brain injury and hypoxia hanging.
‘Lewi was an absolute gem of a child’
Following the tragedy, Lewi’s father Nigel Sullivan remembered his son as “a fantastic, caring, and loving son.”
“He really was every father's dream, and we had this brilliant father-and-son bond. I was proud to bits of him, and I know he was really proud of me, not only as a father but also as a friend,” he continued.
The father shared, “We had a very strong friendship bond as well as being father and son and that was really special to me.”
He went on to claim, “Lewi was an absolute gem of a child. He loved his rugby and motorbikes and he loved being in lorries and machines with me."
“He was loved by all around here and he would stop and speak to anybody. He was such a lovable kid. He was a real loveable rogue, a real character with a wicked sense of humor,” the heartbroken father added.
‘All of the professionals who helped him were incredible’
Sullivan also expressed his gratitude toward the people who attempted to save his son’s life.
“I just want to thank everyone who tried to help Lewi - the kids who were with him when it happened, and even some passers-by. I know one guy tried to help him for almost 20 minutes before the ambulance arrived,” he stated.
Sullivan then mentioned, “The air ambulance was out of this world, the paramedics were fantastic, the police incredible. All of the professionals who helped him were incredible."
“The staff at Noah's Ark went above and beyond for him, and I know they did everything they could. I know he had the best care possible and that they gave him the best chance,” he said.
“We sometimes don't appreciate the NHS, but I am so grateful to them for all the things they did for him,” Nigel added.
Lewi's brother Dan was a player for the Rhymney Rugby Club, that also put out a statement expressing their sorrow about the accidental death.
The club in the statement said, “All at the Brewers will be shocked and saddened to learn of the tragic loss suffered by the family of former Rhymney RFC player Dan Sullivan from Ebbw Vale.”
The club added, “Dan, who played several years with our minis, juniors, and youth, has lost his young brother Lewi in a dreadful innocent accident, while out playing. Sincere sympathy to father Nigel, well known too at the Park, to Dan and all the family. RIP Lewi.”